1. TYPES OF PERSONAL INFORMATION WE COLLECT
“Personal Information” is information that can be used to identify, locate, or contact an individual. It also includes other information that may be associated with Personal Information. We collect the following types of Personal Information:
a) Contact Information that allows us to communicate with you, such as your name, postal addresses, email addresses, social media website user account names, telephone numbers, or other addresses at which you receive communications from or on behalf of FlipGive.
b) Relationship Information that helps us to understand who you are and what types of offers, including Vouchers (“Offers”), you might like. This includes lifestyle information; location information related to your state/province, city, or neighborhood; areas of interest, the types of Offers that interest you, information collected from social media interactions (such as via Facebook Connect);demographic information (e.g., birth date, age, gender); information about persons for whom you have purchased offers as gifts or who have bought Offers as gifts for you, when this service becomes available at a future date; and information about friends who refer you or who you have referred.
c) Fundraising Campaign Information including details related to your fundraising campaign, cause information and buyers associated with your fundraiser.
d) Transaction Information about how you interact with FlipGive, such as the Offers you view, purchase and redeem; other information about how you use our Site(s), email, other communications, and applications; and how you interact with FlipGive merchants, business partners, and service providers.
e) Mobile Location Information to help us offer you real-time deals nearby, if you have activated one of our mobile applications and permitted your mobile or other location-aware device to transmit location data when this service becomes available.
We DO NOT store your Personal Financial Account Information. As soon as your information is collected, it is passed directly to third parties (PayPal) who process the payments on our behalf.
2. HOW FLIPGIVE COLLECTS PERSONAL INFORMATION
We ask you for Personal Information (including Contact Information, Relationship Information, and Financial Account Information) when you register, subscribe, create an account, purchase Offers, or otherwise interact with the Site(s) or contact FlipGive.
We also collect Transaction Information if you contact us via telephone, email, text, postal mail, social media interaction, or other methods of communication, such as for customer support purposes.
We collect information that you provide us about other people when you purchase Offers as gifts, including those persons’ Contact Information and Relationship Information. We create transaction records of your gift to those persons. This information will be collected when these gift services are offered at a future date.
If you use a social media platform or your mobile device (or other methods of communication) to interact with FlipGive or the Site(s), the application may have a specific privacy statement that governs the use of Personal Information related to that application. For example, if you use a FlipGive mobile application and your mobile device’s settings allow it, we may collect Mobile Location Information from your device. Our application may be designed to collect information even if you are not logged into the FlipGive application or the Site(s). If you have questions about the security and privacy settings of your mobile device, please refer to instructions from your mobile service provider or the manufacturer of your device to learn how to adjust your settings.
We may receive additional Personal Information from third parties. We may use this Personal Information to enhance other information we have about you to help us better understand you and to otherwise enhance the Site(s) or FlipGive services.
3. HOW FLIPGIVE USES PERSONAL INFORMATION
FlipGive uses Personal Information to:
- Operate and improve our Sites;
- Provide customers with Offers for Vouchers from participating Merchants, including Offers based on variables such as stated and anticipated customer interests, personal characteristics, or location;
- Facilitate orders for Offers, including their purchase and redemption;
- Evaluate eligibility of customers for certain Offers;
- Evaluate the types of Offers that may be of interest to customers;
- Track redemption of Offers and perform other analytics;
- Provide customer support, including to our Merchants or business partners;
- Fulfill requests for FlipGive services;
- Communicate and provide additional information that may be of interest to you about FlipGive and our Merchants and business partners, such as FlipGive news, special offers and coupons, announcements, and marketing materials;
- Send you reminders, technical notices, updates, security alerts and support and administrative messages service bulletins, or marketing;
- Provide advertisements to you through the Site(s), email messages, text messages, applications, or other methods of communication;
- Administer surveys, sweepstakes, contests, or other promotional activities or events sponsored by us or our partners;
We will not disclose your Personal Information to third parties except to:
- Affiliated companies (e.g., subsidiaries and other companies owned by or controlled by Better The World Inc.) who may only use the Personal Information for the purposes described in Section 3 above.
- The service providers that provide services for us such as sending emails on our behalf and processing payments. Our service providers are bound by law or contract to protect the Personal Information and are only allowed to use the Personal Information in accordance with the terms of our service agreements with them.
- Merchants, but only to the extent you have purchased or redeemed an Offer created by the Merchant, or participated in an Offer, contest or other activity sponsored or created through FlipGive on behalf of the Merchant. We may also provide Merchants with Personal Information about the individuals who have purchased the Merchants’ Offers, to send customized Offers, to validate the purchases, to aid and troubleshoot redemption, to combat fraud, as part of legal proceedings affecting FlipGive and the Merchant, and to facilitate a direct relationship between Merchants and customers and enable Merchants to communicate electronically with customers who purchased the Merchants’ Offers.
- Provide your Personal Information to Merchants and business partners with whom you have opted-in to receive additional offers, promotions and information from.
- FlipGive business partners or advertisers, as part of an Offer, contest,or other activity that is provided by or in conjunction with FlipGive and its business partners and in which you have elected to participate. For example, if you are referred to FlipGive from a business partner's website or through an invitation facilitated by or in conjunction with a FlipGive business partner, FlipGive may provide that business partner with Contact Information and Transactional Information to validate the referral and to support the terms of the relationship between FlipGive and the business partner, which may allow such business partner to contact you directly and to advertise to you.
- Effect a merger, acquisition, or otherwise; to support the sale or transfer of business assets; to enforce our rights or protect our property; to protect the rights, property or safety of others, investigate fraud, respond to a government request; or as needed to support auditing, compliance,and corporate governance functions. We may also disclose Personal Information to defend ourselves in litigation or a regulatory action, and when required or advised to do so by law, such as in response to a subpoena, or similar legal process, including to law enforcement agencies, regulators, and courts in the Canada, United States and other countries where we operate. If FlipGive is involved in a merger, acquisition, or sale of all or a portion of its assets, you will be notified via email and/or prominent notice on our Site of any change in ownership or uses of your Personal Information, as well as any choices you may have regarding your Personal Information.
- We encourage FlipGive Merchants and business partners to adopt and post privacy policies. However, the use of your Personal Information by such parties is governed by the privacy policies of such parties and is not subject to our control.
- We may also disclose information about you that is not personally identifiable. For example, we may provide our merchants, business partners, or other third parties with reports that contain aggregated and statistical data about our Users.
When you use our Site(s), we collect certain information by automated or electronic means, using technologies such as cookies, pixel tags and web beacons, browser analysis tools, and web server logs. As you use our Site(s) and applications, your browser and devices communicate with servers operated by us, our business partners and services providers to coordinate and record the interactivity and fill your requests for services and information.
The information from cookies and related technology is stored in web server logs and also in web cookies kept on your computers or mobile devices, which are then transmitted back to our Site(s) by your computers or mobile devices. These servers are operated and the cookies managed by us, our business partners or our service providers.
For example, when you visit our Site(s), FlipGive and our service providers may place cookies on your computers or mobile devices. Cookies allow us to recognize you when you return, track and target your interests in order to provide a customized experience. They also help us provide a customized experience and help us to detect certain kinds of fraud. A "cookie" is a small amount of information that a web server sends to your browser that stores information about your account, your preferences, and your use of the Site(s). Some cookies contain serial numbers that allow us to connect your Site activity with other information we store about you in your profile or as related to your interactions with the Site(s).
Some cookies are temporary, whereas others may be configured to last longer. “Session" cookies are temporary cookies used for various reasons, such as to manage page views. Your browser usually erases session cookies once you exit your browser. "Persistent" cookies are more permanent cookies that are stored on your computers or mobile devices even beyond when you exit your browser. We use persistent cookies for a number of purposes, such as retrieving certain information you have previously provided (such as your user id if you asked to be remembered), and storing your preferences (e.g., the fundraiser(s)for which you want to be shown Offers).
Pixel tags and web beacons are tiny graphic images placed on website pages or in our emails that allow us to determine whether you have performed specifications. When you access these pages or open email messages, the pixel tags and web beacons generate a notice of that action to us, or our service providers. These tools allow us to measure response to our communications and improve our web pages and promotions.
We collect many different types of information from cookies and other technologies. For example, we may collect information from the devices you use to access our Site(s), your operating system type or mobile device model, browser type, domain, and other system settings, as well as the language your system uses and the country and time zone of your device. Browsers routinely send these types of information to web servers. Our server logs also record the Internet Protocol (“IP”) addresses of the devices you use to interact with the Site(s). An IP address is a unique identifier that devices use to identify and communicate with each other on the Internet. We may also collect information about the website you were visiting before you came to our Site(s) and the website you visit after you leave our Site(s), if this information is supplied to us by your browser.
Additionally, if the settings on your location-aware device allow us to receive Location Information, we will collect that automatically. If we associate Location Information with other Personal Information, this Privacy Statement governs how we would use that information too.
This website uses Google Analytics, a web analytics tool provided by Google,Inc. (“Google”) that helps website owners understand how visitors engage with their website. We can view a variety of reports about how visitors interact with our website so we can improve it, including donations, follows and comments, by a school, and sign-ups. Google Analytics collects information anonymously. Google uses first-party cookies, and IP addresses, and it reports website trends without identifying individual visitors. We do NOT permit Google to use the data it collects from this website.
For more information related to Google Analytics, click here: http://www.google.com/intl/en/analytics/privacyoverview.html
For information about and to install Google Analytics Opt-out Browser Add-on,click here: http://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout?hl=en
6. REFERRING FRIENDS TO FLIPGIVE
FlipGive enables you to refer friends to FlipGive. You may be eligible to receive rewards in the form of some currency that will be part of our future loyalty program (credit available for use in future FlipGive offer purchases) or to earn other benefits for referring friends (subject to Terms and Conditions for referring a friend and details to be made available on our Site(s)). If you wish to refer friends to FlipGive, we will provide you a unique referral link, which you can share directly with others via email, social media websites, or other communications methods. If someone clicks your link and takes a qualifying action, we may attribute that referral to you for purposes such as awarding reward credit. FlipGive does not collect Personal Information about the persons with whom you share your link until the persons click the link and engage directly with FlipGive.
7. YOUR CHOICES
We think that you benefit from a more personalized experience when we know more about you and the kinds of Fundraising Campaigns you support and Offers you like. However, you can customize your expertise with FlipGive by indicating your preferences in your User Settings.
You may manage how your browser handles cookies and related technologies by adjusting its privacy and security settings. Browsers are different, so refer to instructions related to your browser to learn about cookie-related and other privacy and security settings that may be available.
You may manage how your mobile device and mobile browser share Location Information with FlipGive, as well as how your mobile browser handles cookies and related technologies by adjusting your mobile device privacy and security settings. Please refer to instructions provided by your mobile service provider or the manufacturer of your device to learn how to adjust your settings.
You may also manage the sharing of certain Personal Information with us when you connect with us through a social media platform or application, such as through Facebook Connect. Please refer to the privacy settings of the social media website or application to determine how you may adjust our permissions and manage the interactivity between FlipGive and your social media account or your mobile device.
You can opt-in to receive special offers and promotions from our Merchants and business partners. If you are receiving emails directly from our Merchants and business partners and you no longer wish to receive such correspondence, you can unsubscribe by following the instructions in the emails that they send you.
8. ACCESSING AND CORRECTING PERSONAL INFORMATION
Keeping Personal Information about you current helps ensure that we provide you the best offers available through our merchants and business partners. You can do several things to help keep Personal Information about you current. You can access, update and delete your Contact Information and the other information you provided to use in your profile by logging into your account and accessing the “User Settings” section of the Site.
If you want to close your account or have other questions or requests, please contact us by email through Customer Support. While we are ready to assist you in managing your subscriptions, closing your account, and removing your active profile, we cannot always delete records of past interactions and transactions. For example, we are required to retain records relating to previous purchases on the Sites for financial reporting and compliance reasons.
We will retain your information for as long as your account is active or as needed to provide you services and to maintain a record of your transactions for financial reporting purposes. If you wish to cancel your account or request that we no longer use your information to provide you services contact our Customer Support Center. We will retain and use your information as necessary to comply with our legal obligations, resolve disputes, and enforce our agreements.
9. SECURITY OF PERSONAL INFORMATION
FlipGive has implemented an information security program that contains administrative and technical controls that are designed to reasonably safeguard Personal Information. For example, we use industry-standard encryption technology to secure Personal Information when it is being transmitted over the Internet.
10. NOTICE TO RESIDENTS OF COUNTRIES OUTSIDE CANADA
Better The World Inc. is the company responsible for the creation of the FlipGive Service and is headquartered in the province of Ontario in Canada. Personal Information may be accessed by us or transferred to us in Canada or to our affiliates, business partners, Merchants, or service providers elsewhere in the world. By providing us with Personal Information, you consent to this transfer. We will protect the privacy and security of Personal Information according to our Privacy Statement, regardless of where it is processed or stored.
11. PRIVACY PRACTICES OF THIRD PARTIES
13. FACEBOOK CONNECT
If you are not currently registered as a FlipGive user and you use the Site’s Facebook connection functions, you will first be asked to enter your Facebook credentials and then be given the option to register and join FlipGive. Once you register with FlipGive and connect with Facebook, you will be able to automatically post recent FlipGive activity back to your Facebook wall. Please refer to the privacy settings in your Facebook account to manage the performance of your Facebook account.
14. CHANGES TO THIS PRIVACY STATEMENT
15. CREDIT CARD INFORMATION
16. PRIVACY RIGHTS
Better The World Inc. operates in accordance with the rules and guidelines listed in the Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act of Canada. For more information on the rules and guidelines of this act, please visit http://www.priv.gc.ca/leg_c/leg_c_p_e.asp to view the latest version of this legislation.